Excavations
at Arsenal Tech High School
The last
two weeks of the 2004 Archaeology Field School are being spent at Arsenal
Tech High School on Indianapolis' east side. The project this
summer will survey a series of spaces across the Arsenal campus to
determine the archaeological preservation on campus and plan possible
excavations in future seasons. The project is being sponsored by the
Indianapolis Public Schools,
IUPUI, and the Indiana
State Museum, who hopes to conduct a Project
Archaeology workshop at Arsenal. We hope that in 2004-2005 much
of the survey analysis can be conducted by Arsenal Tech students with
support from IUPUI and State Museum staff.
Right:
Field school students excavating shovel test pits near the Guard House. |
Be patient: this page
loads slowly 
|
Before the Civil War the
future Arsenal Tech High School campus was rural woods east of the city.
In 1962 Arsenal High School historian Marjorie Lagemann Snodgrass painted
a somewhat romanticized but nevertheless accurate picture of this area in
prehistory when she described it as “virgin hardwood forest land” in which
“deer munched pawpaws … bears stripped raspberries,… [and] wolves howled
and foxes foraged for fresh eggs in the pheasant and quail nests.” She understood that this rather rich eco-niche was
well-suited to native peoples, and she concluded that “Indians from nearby
camps frequently hunted and fished in this forest.”
This rich ecological harvest certainly attracted peoples in prehistory,
who were followed by Europeans who first arrived in the immediate area in 1819
or 1820.
 |
Left:
The Michigan Street gates to Arsenal Tech as shown in the 1953 yearbook (ATHS
Alumni Association). Right, the same scene from the other side
of the gate during initial field excavations. |
 |
By 1850 the lots in the city’s original Mile Square plan
had all been sold, and expansion into surrounding areas followed rapidly.
By 1862 the future Arsenal tract had passed to German immigrant Herman
Sturm. Sturm originally made
his living manufacturing mathematical instruments, but by the outset of the
Civil War he was producing cartridge samples in his home.
Sturm appealed to the Governor to establish an Arsenal in Indianapolis
and then went to Washington seeking Congress’ approval for the construction of
an arsenal. Congress did indeed
approve this, and Sturm began manufacturing cartridges on the grounds of the
Indiana State House. The
Indianapolis Arsenal was established by the Federal Ordnance Department in
April, 1863.
However, concerns over
the danger of such production compelled city leaders to move the operation to a
more rural setting east of the city. Sturm’s
76-acre tract was purchased for $35,000, and the federal government assumed
direction of the Indiana Arsenal in 1864.
 |
Left:
In 1912 Arsenal High School had just opened when this aerial view was
taken, and much of this view remains remarkably similar today. Our
initial excavations have tested three areas numbered 1, 3, and 7 on this
map. The area within red on the left is associated with Building 1, which is the Guardhouse built in 1872. Building 2
is the Arsenal (built 1865) ; Building 3 is the West Residence (1870);
Number 4 (in red outline at lower right) is Woodruff Place; Building 5 is
the quadrangle office (built circa 1865, burned in 1921); Building 6 is
the Barn (1869, a.k.a. Allen Hall); Building 7 is the Barracks (1869);
Building 8 is the Magazine (1866); and Building 9 is the East Residence
(circa 1870, demolished 1921). (From
Arsenal Tech Alumni
Association). |
 |
Left:
Shovel test pits are being placed here at five-foot intervals along the
lawn just east of the Guard house.
Right: Wade takes notes in the shadow of
the gun at Arsenal's Michigan Street entrance. |
 |
The wartime Captain of Ordinance, Thomas J. Treadwell, was
succeeded by James M. Whittemore in 1864. Treadwell
directed the initial grounds planning and construction of the Arsenal’s first
structures, and in 1865 the Arsenal Building was the first structure completed;
Whittemore subsequently directed much of the Arsenal planning and construction
that followed. Nine other buildings
eventually were constructed between 1863 and 1874.
These included the Arsenal Building in 1865; the Magazine (1866); the
Artillery Building in 1867 (modified in 1893); the Barracks in 1869; the Barn in
1869; and the West Residence in 1870.
After the Civil War the Indianapolis Arsenal primarily was an arms and
supply depot for the United States Army, rather than a munitions producer.
The Arsenal reportedly once held 100,000 rifles. For over a quarter
century the Arsenal had a complement of about 50 soldiers that observed typical
military exercises found on any active military base. The Arsenal's importance declined after the Spanish-American
War, and it closed in June, 1902. The
grounds were purchased for $154,000 by the Winona Lake Technical and
Agricultural Institution in April, 1903. The
school was designed to teach skills such as painting, lithography, printing, and
masonry, among other subjects, but after six years, Winona Lake went into
receivership. |
 |
Above: Scouts
from Boy Scout Troop 500 assist at the Guard House. |
 |
Left:
In the 1920's these Arsenal students conducted campus cleanup--not exactly
what we want to see archaeologically. Despite such projects, though,
initial excavations around the guardhouse recovered a layer of refuse such
as this pig bone below (photo from Arsenal
Tech Alumni Association). |

|
 |
Left:
click on thumbnails for views of excavation.
While
the former Arsenal grounds sat empty, the two Indianapolis public high
schools, Shortridge and Emmerich Manual, had more students than they could
accommodate. In Spring, 1912
Superintendent J.G. Collicott and Manual Principal Milo Stuart surveyed
the former Arsenal grounds to evaluate its suitability for their
expansion. They recommended
the Arsenal, and Stuart became the principal while he simultaneously
managed Manual. In September,
1912, classes started at Arsenal Technical Schools (subsequently Arsenal
Technical High School), and 183 students filed in for the school’s first
classes. Winona’s original donors argued that
the property should appropriately revert to them, and as students were
arriving these former landowners were simultaneously taking the
Indianapolis Board of Public School Commissioners to court.
A local circuit court ruling upheld the right of the Board of
School Commissioners to use the grounds, and in May, 1916 the Indiana
Supreme Court upheld that judgment.
|
 |
 |
The West Residence (right) was completed
in 1870 to complement the elegant commandant's quarters known as the East
Residence. The East Residence sat east of the Arsenal Building and
is now gone. The West Residence housed the Arsenal's highest-ranking
officers. Colonel George Custer was among the distinguished visitors
who stayed in the West Residence We placed test pits to the
south and east of the structure's lawn and recovered a scatter of refuse
associated with the structure as well as several prehistoric artifacts. |
 |
 |
Right: The 1936 ATHS
yearbook included this drawing of the West Residence.
Left: The view east toward the
Arsenal Building, with the West Residence on the left. |

|
Page
last updated June 20, 2004
This page represents the author's interpretation only, not Arsenal Tech High,
its Alumni Association, the Indiana State Museum or IUPUI